Asian Pears

I misread canning directions and only put 1Tb of bottled lemon juice in each quart jar. The canner came to a boil, started timing for 25 minutes, then removed them. This was my first time doing pears, and none of my cook books with canning sections say anything about adding the lemon juice at all. I've asked several people I know who've canned a LOT, and they say they'll be fine. They were canned on Friday around 4pm. All sealed. Thank you!

Yamhill County Oregon

Asian pears are borderline for acidity in terms of safety when canned. Produce with a pH of 4.6 or above is at risk for botulism growth in a sealed jar. Asian pears fall right into that range. Adding acid (lemon juice) would bring the pH down and the acid level up, so they could be safely boiling water canned. One tablesoon might not be enough in a quart.
One of our Food Science and Technology faculty on the OSU campus in Corvallis has offered to test a jar to see help determine if this batch is a risk.
If you are interested in having a jar tested, please contact me and we will try to make arrangements for that.
Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

How much would it cost? I only made 8 quarts like this....

Thanks!

There wouldn't be a charge for this test. I think the Professor is interested in the results. He would just need one jar to get an idea of the pH.

Jeanne