How should I level a new lawn?

I moved into a new home in December of last year located in New Braunfels, Texas. The builder laid TIF 419 solid. The problem is that the ground was not very level and I have high and low spots throughout the yard. When is the best time to add additional soil to level and should I use sandy loam or sand? My neighbor's brother- in-law works for a nursery and he recommended that we mow the grass low in February and level with sand. If you also recommend sand, what type? Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Comal County Texas

The use of sand is still recommended by some, but with most of our heavy clay soils; it tends to compact the soil even more.

You can gradually build up the soil over time by top-dressing with a ¼” to a ½” of a 60-80% pasteurized top soil mixed with a 20-40% finely screened aged compost.

This process can be done from mid-September through early May and up to twice a year.

The other option would be to remove the existing sod, then re-grade and level it out correctly.

Take into consideration how and where the new water flow will be effective.

Good luck!

David Rodriguez
Extension Horticulturist- Bexar County
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 212
San Antonio, TX 78230
210-467-6575
http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu