Hello, I am from Germany and have not had much luck finding comparable...

Hello, I am from Germany and have not had much luck finding comparable full-sized black cherry trees here in the US. This may just be a matter of not knowing what to look for, but back home it is very common to see tremendous black cherry trees with trunks up to 2.5 or 3 feet in diameter completely loaded down with large, sweet, black as night cherries in the yards of older homes. Is there a particular cultivar I should be looking for to achieve similar results here in Southeast Minnesota? If so, where can I get a good reliable plant; after all, this is something you plant to enjoy for many many years. Thank you for your time, Delsin Carter

Olmsted County Minnesota trees and shrubs cherries horticulture

Until recently we could only grow sour cherries in Minnesota, however, we now have some sweet cherries you might try. Call around to find planting stock since every nursery may not stock them. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/08622-tree-fruits.pdf

Danke for your question.

Thank you for your response. I have to say I am surprised by your answer though because Southern Minnesota and Germany have incredibly similar climates; also, much like home, the soil here isn't bad either. I wonder if the issue isn't that only small, sour breeds "could" be grown in Minnesota, but that the large, dark, sweet breeds found in Germany simply haven't been introduced or tried here...
Delsin

It's highly unlikely that large, dark, sweet cherries suitable for growing in Minnesota have been overlooked. Many Minnesota residents would grow them if it could be done.

Delicious, large, sweet cherries (black, red and yellow) are grown elsewhere in the USA.

Following is an excerpt from a University of Minnesota bulletin:

"Most stone fruit species, including peaches and sweet cherries, are unsuitable for growing in Minnesota. They are sensitive to winter injury, and even if they survive, they bloom very early in spring, and their flowers are usually killed by frost. There are some stone fruit species that do grow acceptably well in part or all of the state: selected European and hybrid plums, some apricots, and tart cherries."

Go here to read the entire bulletin:

Stone Fruits for Minnesota Gardens
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1125.html