Why so many fruit flies?

I live just outside Sioux Falls, SD. I have noticed an increase in the number of fruit flies in the house this year. Am I the only one having this problem, and do you have any tips on how to get rid of them?

Minnehaha County South Dakota fruit flies

Fruit flies often enter the home via produce and since you mention an 'increase' I am going to guess that you have a breeding population. Do you have a lot of fruit/vegetables on your counters from the garden, grocery store, etc? Any produce that is out on the counter is a potential breeding site for fruit flies and should be used up, stored in the refrigerator or discarded. Produce remains that are in an indoor trash can also serve as a breeding site, so take your trash out frequently if there is a lot of organic material in there.

As for the adult flies that you're seeing, a trap baited with apple cider vinegar will be very effective. Use something like a pint canning jar and put an inch or so of cider vinegar in the bottom (the bait) and a tiny drop of dish soap (breaks the surface tension of the vinegar so the flies drown). You can also make a small funnel from a piece of paper to put in the top of the trap to keep any flies from escaping but this is not always necessary. Empty the trap every day.

Eliminating any breeding sites and trapping out the adults will get rid of this problem but you're going to need to be diligent and patient.