St. Augustine Grass

I have a mixture of St. Augustine, Bermuda, some weeds and some Road Astor. I planted some rectangles of St. Augustine a year an a half on some spots where I removed Dallis grass.

The St. Aug is spreading nicely. I selective fertilized it this spring. I broadcast spread some 13-13-13 about Sept. 17th. As the grass dies this fall the Road Astor will begin to dominate (but I guess I have to live with that.)

What should I do to encourage the St. Augustine and discourage all the other stuff. I have a sprinkler system an an irrigation well along with a large yard, ~1 acre. I have some top soil but am pretty much on a hill top near Lake Weatherford (excellent drainage). Underlying soil is distributed rocky in a sandy, caliche gravel matrix.

Note: The bare spots in the foreground of the picture are not part of my lawn. Had to cross the street to take the picture so please ignore the bare spots.

Thanks in advance.

Parker County Texas

Thanks for the question, do what i can to help. I would suggest starting a pre-emergent program either through a company or doing it yourself? We suggest twice a year around Valentines Day and Labor Day. This will take some time but eventually get it under control. In the meantime you nay want to use a post-emergent to spot treat it such as below:Most broadleaf products that are mixtures containing 2,4-D, mecoprop and dicamba list it on the label, as well as other weeds in the Aster (Compositae) family. Escalade (2,4-D, Fluroxypyr, and Dicamba) also has it on its label as well as Manor (metsulfuron). It is best to treat it prior to flowering in spring or early summer as this time of year it gets very hard to kill. Also, the more you can mow it to prevent flowering the better off you will be in the long run. I hope some of this helps.To really make it a weed free lawn you might want to take a soil sample and check the nutrient level, sometimes a nutrient deficiency can weaken the vigor of the turf and allow weeds to settle in? the soil sample information can be acquired at your local extension office.