1)I do have an overgrown crape myrtle that I want to prune to a height of...

1)I do have an overgrown crape myrtle that I want to prune to a height of approximately 7 feet. Can that be done? What time of year should it be pruned? 2) Can hidraengea paniculata be pruned? Mine are overgrown. When is the best time to do it, and how. Thanks a lot. Anna

Frederick County Maryland shrubs hydrangea crape myrtles

Crape myrtles and Hydrangea paniculata are sturdy plants and can be butchered any way you would like. The best time to do it is in early spring or late winter before the new growth begins. http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/trees/hgic1009.html If there is a branch that is too high, follow that branch back to where it joins another branch and cut it off there. This will give an attractive natural appearance.
With H. paniculata cut back stems to about 10 to 24 inches, cutting back to just above a pair of buds. If you want to convert the hydrangea into a tree, remove all branches but one and remove all lower side branches on the stem that will become the "trunk". vw