I planted fruit trees 3 or 4 years ago, and have yet to get a harvest. THis...

I planted fruit trees 3 or 4 years ago, and have yet to get a harvest. THis is frustrating for me, because I have a thriving vegetable garden. How long do fruit trees- in particular pear trees- take to bear fruit consistently? I have seen pears on the trees, but then over the season, they disappear. I have a peach tree that consistently produces tons of fruit- but then it all succumbs to plum curculio. I tried organic spray first, and conventional (and foul-smelling) spray last year, and neither worded. I am tempted to cut it down. I would rather use an organic method to control the plum curculio. Do you have any recommendations please? Thanks!

Baltimore County Maryland

Unfortunately, your situation is a very common one. Growing fruit trees in Maryland is a daunting and frustrating activity. And, it is even more daunting when trying to grow tree fruits organically. For your peach tree and the control of plum curculio, you may want to try spraying the tree with Spinosad (Bonide markets a product called 'Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew') just after the flowers fall from the tree next spring.
For the pears, you suggest that you have more than one pear tree, but they should be two different varieties in order to get good pollination. Fruit fall is sometimes the result of poor pollination. Disappearance of pears from the trees could also be the result of squirrels or other pests.
If you lose patience, you may want to consider turning to fig trees, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.
LS