What should I plant to bloom in April in Houston?

I want to have plants in bloom in mid-late April. Which bulbs/plants should I plant that will bloom at that time of year? I live just north of downtown Houston (I mile north of the 610 loop). The garden beds that the bulbs would be planted in are in the sun for most of the day with some shady spots. Thank you.

Harris County Texas

That is going to be late for spring bulbs but you may still have some good bloom on bearded iris, Byzantine gladiolus and some amaryllis such as Amaryllis johnsonii.

I would suggest you consider annuals or perennials for color at that time. Petunias come in many forms and would be a great choice for color in April. Bluebonnets would be finishing up in early to mid April so wouldn't be a good choice. Larkspur however should be blooming well then. Larkspur seed is planted in fall for a spring bloom. Some poppies such as corn poppy and shirley poppy may still be in bloom then. They are also seeded in the fall. Another plant to plant as seed in the fall is sweet peas. They will be blooming in April in most years. Two additional ideas are the blue blooms of Blue Anise Sage (Salvia gauranitica), Salvias 'Indigo Spires' and Salvia 'Mystic Spires'.