Loosing against quack grass?

I am fighting quack grass for 20 plus years in my garden. I grow flowers, shrubs, vegetables and have no lawn. And I can't win the fight.... I tried black plastic tarp, newspapers, chemical spray, hand pulling.... Any advice?

Jackson County Oregon

Twenty years - you must be getting tired. But that's often what it takes, persistence over a long time.

First, be sure that what you have is quack grass (Elytrigia repens). I've noticed locally that what many folks refer to as quackgrass, is actually bermuda grass (Cynodon dactylon). Regardless, management is very similar, although in my personal experience, bermuda grass is more problematic in Jackson County. Hand pulling (it will be a long-term project) and herbicide treatment are the best options. A very good fact sheet on managment of bermuda grass (it all applies to quackgrass as well) is online at http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7453.html.

Good luck, and remember, persistence is the key to long-term management.

Quack grass