My residence sits on a treed lot in Bethesda with a fairly dense tree canopy...

My residence sits on a treed lot in Bethesda with a fairly dense tree canopy that limits the sunlight most of the day. What seed is recommended for deep shade? I know that the selection is very limited, and I understand that it will require reseeding on a regular basis. Most of the lot is now bare dirt and moss since we also share a lot with huge herds of deer, but if I lime and fertilize the soil, seeds will germinate. Thanks, Ed

Montgomery County Maryland lawns and turf shady lawn

As you already know growing a lawn on a shady lot is extremely difficult. Fine fescue grass species like hard, sheep, chewings or creeping red do perform better in the shade. This is a low maintenance type grass that does not handle foot traffic well. Also it should not be mowed in the heat of the summer. So at times it does not look like a typical manicured lawn. It grows to about 6-8 inches and flops over. It only needs to be fertilized once in the fall.
Instead of fighting the conditions you should consider mulching and planting a shade loving groundcover like pachysandra. The following publication has other suggestions for groundcovers, http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG89%20Ground%20Cove...

dr