poke weed

Asked September 27, 2013, 2:15 AM EDT

What's the best way to get rid of it? How poisonous is it? I'm told it's very poisonous to almost anything. Is this true?

Josephine County Oregon

1 Response

Yes, pokeweed should not be eaten by people or animals. The roots contain the most toxins but leaves and stems can cause serious health issues too. Problems arrise with this plant because some native cultures used the berries for herbal remedies. This is not recommended now.
Usually the plants pull out of the ground easily when large. If you have small plants that have not made berries and seeds they can be sprayed with roundup to control them.