Please advise on health and treatment of fescue Grass.

Can you please take a look at the picture I have uploaded and advise me on the condition of what is believed to be a fescue grass and the care and treatment. It does not appear to be thriving and has a lot of thatch in it. Thank you in advance for your time and services. Todd Green

Clackamas County Oregon grass horticulture

Thank you for your question to Ask the Expert and for including a photo.

The 3 bunch grasses look like blue fescue that were planted this summer. Is that correct? They do look a little sad at the moment, but as perennial grasses they should look better next year. You could cut all of the dead material out with a pair of pruners. You could also add a small amount of fertilizer now to encourage the plants to establish a robust root system. Next spring, regardless if you do any maintenance now, the grass should grow vigorously and the dead material will decompose and the clump will look good for the bulk of the season and then the outside will again start to fade. That is the yearly cycle of blue fescue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Weston