What are the licensing requirements to process venison?

Asked September 25, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

I want to start a venison processing business.

We would only be processing venison for hunters as a seasonal business from our residence.

Benzie County Michigan

1 Response

Contact the United States Department of Agriculture, Food Safety & Inspection Division, Processing Operation Staff at (800) 233-3935.

As of 6/21/85, the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development no longer licenses business engaged in operating a slaughterhouse, edible rendering establishment, wholesale fabricating, processing, or storage warehouse handling meat products.
This information came from: http://michigan.gov/statelicensesearch/0,4671,7-180-24786_24825-81602--,00.html
Good luck with your new business.