Canning salsa, can I use weight of chopped and drained tomatoes?

I am using the standard chili salsa recipe from the Extension Service (2 pounds chile peppers, chopped/5 pounds tomatoes/1 pound onion, chopped/1 cup vinegar (5% strength) .

First question: Can I chop the tomatoes (romas), remove them from all the liquid they drain, and THEN weigh them? This makes a much less liquid salsa and the proportions appear to stay the same....but does losing the liquid actually change the proportion?

Second question: If this does actually change the proportion, can I add citric acid as I do for canning just tomatoes to fix the problem?

Thank you very much!

Benton County Oregon

I don't see that that is too much of a problem. I would not squeeze the juice out but just draining them should be ok as long as you add the appropriate amount of vinegar. If you want to be sure it is acid enough, substitute equal amount of bottled lemon juice for the vinegar and then you will be extra safe. You just don't want the salsa so thick that it will not process properly.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert.