I live in Clintonville on a street with 70 year old oaks. I believe mine is a...

I live in Clintonville on a street with 70 year old oaks. I believe mine is a pin oak. It has always shed some green leaf clusters in the fall, but this fall it is shedding far more than usual. In appearance the tree looks healthy, however the leaves may be fractionally smaller this year, but I am not sure. There are no dead leaves on the tree. Is the tree in trouble?

Franklin County Ohio

The website below will provide you with some good information on pin oak. The smaller leaves may be an indication of stress in the tree due to soil pH, moisture or lack of nutrients. Pin Oak is generally healthier in moist, acidic soils. If your soil is dry and composed mostly of alkaline clay, the tree will not do as well. If you are certain that your tree is pin oak, you may want to irrigate your tree and consider obtaining a soil test near it. If the soil is alkaline, you may want to disperse agricultural sulfur or Ironite around it to reduce the pH.

http://ohiodnr.com/trees/oak_pin/tabid/5394/Default.aspx