Tree fungus fall treatment

We have a Hawthorne and a flowering Crabapple tree that we've been fighting leaf fungus all summer. We treated regularly in the spring and saw some improvement. What can we do this fall and winter to get a jump on this fungus and hopefully prevent it for next spring.

Clackamas County Oregon

Thanks for your Question! To better fight fungal infections on these trees, I suggest spraying dormant sprays one or two times this winter. This is also what you would do for home orchard fruit trees. You will want to purchase lime sulfur and dormant oil from a garden store or garden department in a larger store. Follow directions on the packages for mixing and application procedures. This will most likely make your other control practices more effective. To help out more, I recommend that you rake up the leaves after they fall and dispose of them to lesson the fungal spores available for reinfection. I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask other questions if you have them. Linda