IDENTIFY WHAT IS ON SHORELINE OF BEACH

Has any one had a chance to look at this. I submitted on 9/19 and I am starting vacation on 9/25 and would like to get a response to the client before I leave. Even if I have to tell them you are still checking. Thank you. Val

Client lives on an inland lake in Northeastern Michigan. Shore has a mushy substance about 1 to 2 feet into the water. It floats when the water is wavy but sort of looks like cement when water is not on it. Specimen is mushy, has a mixture of sand and cannot figure out what else may be in there. He wants to know what it may be, what can be done or who he may contact to know why it is there.-

Alpena County Michigan natural resources pond and water gardens

Hello,Thanks for including photos, however it is still hard to determine what it is. During this time of the year, there is a lot of organic material in the water, and not sure if wave action has just brought it to your area of the lake. Chara is common algae that might be growing in your area and it has a sandy texture, but I am not sure it would be broken down that well at this point in time to be part of the material that you are referring to.I would suggest calling one of my colleagues below.Lois Wolfson, PhD
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
Institute of Water Research
101 Manly Miles Bldg.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48823
wolfson1@msu.edu
(517) 353-9222

Jo A. Latimore, Ph.D.
Aquatic Ecologist and Outreach Specialist
Michigan State University - Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
(517) 432-1491
latimor1@msu.edu

Thanks for your inquiry.