Canning salsa

I'm planning to can salsa using the boiling water-bath method. I'd like to adapt the "Zesty Salsa" recipe from the Ball Blue Book. This is the recipe:

• 10 cups chopped, cored, and peeled tomatoes (about 6 lb)
  • 5 cups chopped and seeded Anaheim peppers (about 2 lb)
  • 5 cups chopped onions (about 1 1/2 lb)
  • 2 1/2 cups chopped, seeded hot peppers (about 1 lb)
  • 1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
  • 1 tbsp. salt
The instructions say to combine everything in a saucepan, bring the contents to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. The instructions then say to process pints in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes. There are more details, but those are the most important. I'd like to use red onion instead of white and green peppers instead of Anaheim peppers and leave out the hot peppers entirely. I'd also like to use lime juice instead of cider vinegar. As I understand it, those substitutions should be fine. However, I'd also like to double the amount of tomatoes. Since they're a higher acid vegetable, I think it should be okay, but I want to be sure. Can you help me out with an answer?

Franklin County Ohio

Changing the type of onions and peppers is not a problem, but changing the ratio of vegetables and acid in a product can be. We have tested recipes for a reason, and that reason is so that harmful microorganisms do not grow to levels that will make a person sick. The surest way to make sure you are safe when changing a tested recipe is to freeze the product.