I have what I think is a 40-50-year-old Atlantic white cedar with twin...

I have what I think is a 40-50-year-old Atlantic white cedar with twin trunks. Since last year the branches on one side have been browning and all are now brown. The other side seems unaffected. My question is: Should I remove the whole tree,or hope that the trunk that seems fine will fill out? It is about 40 ft. tall and may have been affected by our earthquake or by our trimming of many descending bottom branches about the same time....
Thank you--Cathy Wintermyer

Prince George's County Maryland

it would be appropriate to remove the dead trunk. When you do so, instruct the person doing the cut to fell the tree in increments so that when the final cut is made just above the surface of the soil, that the cut is made on a very slight angle so that water is channeled away from the remaining trunk.
LS

Thanks so much. Can the harvested wood be used for anything?

CW

Lumber yards are extremely reluctant to accept trees from homeowners for fear of ruining their blades on a nail or a piece of wire.
As far as firewood, cedar will burn nicely, but it is low on the scale of heat output and it produces heavy smoke and lots of sparks.
This is not to discourage you from checking with local woodcutters and woodworkers. There may be someone who could use it, but don't expect more than free removal from your property.
LS