I just had new sod installed a little over 2 weeks ago and it seems to be...

I just had new sod installed a little over 2 weeks ago and it seems to be struggling, turning brown in some areas. I watered 2x a day for the first week as advised and 1x a day since. It does not get full sun but is in a fairly shaded area around a very mature cherry tree. Just prior to the installation we had the cherry tree pruned considerably so to allow for light necessary. Any advise? Marcia

Sussex County Delaware lawns and turf horticulture

Thank you for your question on sod browning out. This is a common occurance. See if you can lift a section of your sod. Just grab a hold of some grass and gently tug. If it has some resistance, the sod has established a good root system. If you can gently pull it up, the roots have not yet taken hold. If you can look under the sod that you pulled up, see how long the roots are and check how dry or wet the soil is. You may have to water twice a day to get the roots to grow. Sod likes to be kept damp during the day.

Did the installer put down starter fertilizer? If not, you may want to put some down. Follow the instructions on the starter fertilizer available at any garden center.

Also, even though you thinned out that cherry tree, you just may not be getting enough sunlight to establish a healthy stand of sod.

Hopefully, with the cooler days and nights of fall, you will end up with a lovely sodded lawn.