Good morning! For the 2nd summer in a row, something has been eating my crepe...

Good morning! For the 2nd summer in a row, something has been eating my crepe myrtle. Its been planted in our yard for 4 years now and the first 2 years, it was green, robust and healthy looking. It is still growing, it does look sickly. I have attached pics. What can I do? when should I do it? One neighbor told me I would need to dig all of the dirt up and put fresh around the tree. Help! I love my tree!

Baltimore County Maryland shrubs crape myrtles crape myrtle cercospora disease

Your crape myrtle is suffering from a fungal disease known as Cercospora. Increasing numbers of crape myrtles have been suffering from this disease this year (and last). Frequent rains have made the disease rather common this year. Preventative fungicides are rarely needed since the appearance of symptoms usually occur in late summer to early fall. You may find some helpful information in the following publication:
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1047/ANR-1047.pdf
LS