I have recently started working on a very neglected back yard garden....

I have recently started working on a very neglected back yard garden. Everything is covered by wisteria. It is mainly the thick vine purple spring blooming type but also the white fall blooming weedy type. It is covering all the trees and bushes. Runners of vine are shooting across the yard and are tunneling under the dirt. Are there any easy ways of getting rid of it? It is on some very nice ornamental trees so I am afraid to use any type of herbicide can I safely us something like stump killer? I have even trying to manually remove it but it is too out of hand.

Baltimore Maryland wisteria vines

One method would be to cut the vines near the ground and immediately (within 3-4 minutes) paint or pour glyphosate (Roundup, Kleenup, etc.) on the cut stump. The aerial portion of the vine will eventually die and should be easier to remove at that time. Wisteria are notorious for putting up suckers, so it will be important to repeat this procedure as needed.
LS