Hello, I am attaching a photo taken from my phone of a small snake that was...

Hello, I am attaching a photo taken from my phone of a small snake that was climbing the stairs inside our home this morning. It was around 2 feet long and about as big around as my index finger (1/2 " diameter, maybe a bit bigger?). The snake is in a Tupperware container in the photo, about 10 inches square and 4 inches deep, to give you some perspective. I let it go outside, but would really like to know what it is. It doesn't really look like the snakes in your videos. Thanks for your help.

Baltimore County Maryland wildlife snake identification

Thank you for your patience. We felt it was important to seek expert assistance since the snake in your photo was most likely an immature snake. Immature snakes sometimes have different coloration and even different patterns than adults of the species. As it turns out, your snake is an immature black rat snake. Like all snakes, this snake is extremely beneficial. And, we laud you for releasing the snake into the outdoors.
LS