Greetings. I read an article recently that recommended applying corn gluten...

Greetings. I read an article recently that recommended applying corn gluten to lawns now, to cut down on weeds. (I'm unsure if it cut down on weeds already in the yard or weeds coming next year.) I purchased some corn gluten but the nursery staff said they thought it was best applied in the spring. What do you think? If you vote for spring, will storing the corn gluten in my garage over the winter have any effect on the product? Thank you.

Frederick County Maryland lawns and turf corn gluten

Corn gluten is not a very effective weed killer. It must be applied repeatedly for years to do only a moderate job of killing weeds and, even then, is not really satisfactory.

But, beyond that, we can't recommend it anyway because when used in the quantities given on the label, it provides more nitrogen than is allowed by state law to apply to lawn. You may want to return the product.