Hi, This is the St. Joseph Equine Veterinary clinic and I am trying to...

Hi, This is the St. Joseph Equine Veterinary clinic and I am trying to identify a weed/shrub/plant that was in a pasture that the horse ate. Unfortunately the horse ate most of the plant. The owner said the plant was about 3 feet tall (now it is only 6-12 inches tall). I was able to take pictures of the remaining parts of the plant. I know this is a long shot, maybe someone knows what this plant/weed/shrub is. I think it is Pigweed - the pictures online closely resembled the pictures I have. If anyone is able to confirm this it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I understand - most of the plant is gone. I attached the best picture I have, there are 4 pictures total but can only send/attach one thru this system, hopefully it can be identified. If you would like the other pictures I can send them to you. Thank you for your time. Nicole St. Joseph Equine Clinic 320-363-4908

Stearns County Minnesota

This does appear to be redroot pigweed, Amaranthus retroflexus. Accumulation of nitrates under droughty conditions is generally the main concern.