I have grape leaf vines that resemble the ones seen online for processing...

I have grape leaf vines that resemble the ones seen online for processing stuffed grape leaves. The neighbor told me his grandfather planted them and he has been using them for canning. My question is if the leaves are edible are the grapes which resemble blueberries safe to eat as well? Do all grape vines produce edible grpes? Do they need to be fully ripe in order to be safe to eat?

Ramsey County Minnesota grapevine

As the grapevines were planted, they must be a domestic, rather than wild variety. I can only guess as to the variety but Bluebell has been around for many, many years and it could be that vine. I don't believe there are any varieties of grapes that aren't safe to eat. I would not try eating any until they are ripe as they will not taste good. Here's a link to our publication on grapes: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1103.html

An additional note however. The vines/grapes should not have been sprayed with anything that is not labels for edible crops. Otherwise you would be eating insecticides/fungicides, etc.