Last week I inquired about a problem I have with creeping Charlie in my lawn....

Last week I inquired about a problem I have with creeping Charlie in my lawn. Your response said that the only solution was to spray Roundup on the lawn an reseed. I talked to a lawn care company that told me they remove it by applying Trichloro-2-Pyridinloxyaceic Acid to the lawn. Have you heard of this and would recommend that I hire them? I found this chemical in Chickweed Clover & Oxalis Killer made by Bonide. Is this a product that you know about, can I apply it myself, and how effective is it?

Baltimore County Maryland lawns and turf

There are many ways to handle creeping Charlie in your lawn. We didn't mean to imply that the ONLY approach was to kill the entire lawn and do a total lawn renovation, but that is the best option when your lawn is more than 50% weeds.

If you have less than 50% weeds, and would like to selectively kill the creeping Charlie, then the Chickweed, Clover and Oxalis Killer containing triclopyr (short name for the chemical you describe) is a good choice. Speed Zone is another effective herbicide for creeping Charlie. You can easily spray either of these products yourself with a sprayer.

Keep in mind that creeping Charlie is a VERY tough weed. Early fall is the prime time to kill it, but it usually takes at least two applications, spaced about 2-3 weeks apart, to really knock it out. That's why you want to start this process early in the fall. Even late August is okay.

If you plan to reseed--and fall is the best time to do that also, the earlier the better--be sure to read the herbicide label carefully to learn how long your must wait to reseed after applying the herbicide.

(About the Round-Up: One good thing about glyphosate is that you can reseed fairly soon after application. About a week. Read the label. Glyphosate is the important chemical in Round-Up and is available in many other products now. It isn't available only in Round-Up anymore.)