Hello, I have a lot of plants I'd like to overwinter indoors this year,...

Hello, I have a lot of plants I'd like to overwinter indoors this year, including a few pond plants. I generally have pretty good success and can transplant back to the garden or mini pond in the spring. Last year was not a good year and I think lighting was a problem. I would like to know what to look for in a light bulb that would help my plants thrive(i have recessed lighting that takes flood-type light bulbs but have a few small fluorescent fixtures I can move around). Any suggestions for the aquarium/pond plants?

Summit County Ohio indoor gardening plants pond aquaculture water plants aquaponics

Ideally you would like to provide the plants with natural sunlight - or something that is as close to sunlight as possible. Many different bulbs can be used for this purpose - with some providing a "better" spectrum of light for plants than others. Fluorescent tubes are generally used in home situations because they give off little heat and can be placed fairly close to the plant. In some cases, keeping plants under artificial lights for the duration of the winter will result in little new growth - but will simply maintain them. You may also see their quality deteriorate a bit the longer they are held under artificial conditions.

I found a fact sheet that might be of interest to you providing a bit more detail on artificial lighting in the home: http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G6515

Please let me know if you have any other questions!