I had my garden soil tested and it came back low in potassium. I thought of...

I had my garden soil tested and it came back low in potassium. I thought of using ash from charcoal brickettes as a source of potatssium but I received this comment: Hi Walter – that may not be a good idea. Charcoal briquettes nowadays are full of additives: http://www.ehow.com/info_10050746_can-ashes-charcoal-briquettes-used-fertilizer.html. They can be used for paths and to keep weeds down, though. Wood ash from a fireplace is best for veggie gardens. If bricettes are completely burned to ash are there still dangerous additives at high levels remaining? I see various comments on the web

Maryland fertilizer potassium wood ash

We do not recommend the use of charcoal briquette ash as a source of potassium in the garden. Not only are the briquettes treated with additives, but if used to cook food, there will also be food residues that may decompose anaerobically. This process would produce alcohols which are harmful to plants.
Again, it is safe to use wood ash from a fireplace.
LS