Canning Tomatoes and Peppers Together

Can I process tomatoes and green peppers together (in the same jar) in a water bath, or do I need to use the pressure canner because of the peppers? And how long should they be processed? I know how to calculate for altitude.

Klamath County Oregon

The addition of peppers to tomatoes does dramatically change the acid levels, moving this mix into a pressure-canner-required category. We don't have a current, tested recipe for a tomato-pepper mixture, but it does fit the mixed vegetables instructions (http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/mixed_vegetables.html), which allow you to select the amounts and particular vegetables you would like to mix. These instructions call for 75 minutes per pints or 90 minutes per quart at 0 to 1000 feet of elevation for both dial (11 pounds) and weighted gauge (10 pounds) canners (increases in pressure at 2000 feet for dial gauge and 1000 feet for weighted gauges). You sound familiar with the elevation-change requirements. Remember, Master Food Preservers are standing by at our toll-free hotline: 1-800-354-7319.