Dying Pine Tree

We have lost 2 pine trees in the last year and are about to lose another one. A neighbor gave me Green Light Tree and Shrub Insect Control with Safari. I treated the tree and haven't seen any abatement of the decline. The tree is not dead, but it is clearly diseased. Who can I talk to see if there is anything I can do to save the tree? I have three other ones that are large specimens which define our landscaping.

Sussex County Delaware plant disease pine trees pine dieback

You did not inicate what type of pine you have on your property, but I suspect since you are in Sussex County, Delaware, that they may be Japanese black pine. There is a lot of dieback in Japanese black pine due to pine wilt caused by the pinewood nematode, and there is no good control for that disease. However, it is impossible for me to determine what might be wrong without seeing a sample or a picture of the tree. Green Light Tree and Shrub Insect Control with Safari is an insecticide only and will not control plant disease. Use of an insecticide when you may not have an insect problem also will kill off beneficial insects that may be working in your trees. For that reason, diagnosis of the problem is important. You may want to call an arborist to look at your trees because they are large old specimens, and you may need to have several removed. Otherwise, you could take a branch sample in to your local county Extension office (Sussex County has an office at the Carvel Center on Rt. 9 in Georgetown). Extension professionals there could help you with determination of the type of pine and what the problem might be.
Thank you for contacting UD Cooperative Extension.
Nancy

Nancy,

I don't know what type of Pine we have. Attached are several pictures of the tree. You will see that there is some type of fungus growing at the base of the tree.

Thanks,

Andy

The picture shows resin flow, like sap, from the pine tree, not a fungus. It is a messy type of material though! Resin flow is a sign that something is wrong, but not specific (kind of like a person having a fever or a rash). Although I cannot see the entire length of the tree, I think these trees will probably not survive. You should contact an arborist, and think about trees that may make nice replacement trees for your property.

Nancy