I have what looks like Tree of Heaven in several areas and would like to get...

I have what looks like Tree of Heaven in several areas and would like to get rid of them. Unlike the images yous ee online, mine have thorns up and down the bark. They have seed pods developing which I would like to stop. I have hesitated to spray the trees with Roundup as I do now want to harm the undergrowth. I would like to cut them flat with the ground and spray anything that comes up with Roundup. Others have suggested that my plan is not the best plan. Questions: 1. Does some Tree of Heaven have thorns? 2. What is the best plan to kill it, without harming the underbrush, and without allowing seeds to scatter?

Frederick County Maryland trees and shrubs tree of heaven

Tree of heaven does not have thorns. It could be a devil's walking stick. Go to Google Image to verify this guess. Regardless of what it is and if you want to get rid of it, cut it down to the ground. As soon as you make the cut, paint a glyphosate product such as RoundUp on the cut surface. As soon as you see small devil's walking sticks emerging, paint them with glyphosate using an inexpensive sponge paint brush being careful not to get the RoundUp on plants that you value. vw