Corn Growing inside Stalk

Most of my corn seems fine but I have one stalk that is taller than the others but didn't seem to be growing any corn. Today I discovered that it has an ear growing inside the stalk near the bottom. The silk is coming through a little higher where the corn should be growing from. This is causing the stalk to split up the center and I finally have more corn growing. With the stalk splitting as it is I don't think the other ears will make it. What is causing this and what can I do so it doesn't happen next year?

Tuscarawas County Ohio corn agronomy

Without seeing more of the corn stalk I would say that this stalk is a different variety than the others in your garden or field or it could be affected by environmental conditions which are causing it to have more growth. The ear could still "shoot" but if it doesn't it may be as a result of environmental or mechanical damage to the growth point of the plant. I would not worry about next year. I think this was just an abnormality.