Question about Fertilizer

I recently had my soil tested and received the results back. The results says I need to add 10 lbs of 10-0-20 fertilizer per 1000 Sq. Ft. My lawn is only about 200 - 210 Sq. Ft. or so. My question is how much should I be applying to a lawn of this smaller size? Also what would be a comparable fertilizer ratio that I can use without custom blending. I can't seem to find 10-0-20 anywhere online.

Prince George's County Maryland

Your lawn is 1/5th the size of the standard size (1000 square feet) that they use to make recommendations. So you need to cut their recommendation by 1/5th.
That means that instead of 10 lbs of the 10-0-20, you would have applied 2 lbs.

(The fertilizer ratio numbers stand for nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Most fertilizers you'll find will have zero phosphorus because it is being removed from fertilizers in order to protect the Chesapeake Bay. Most lawns do not need phosphorus anyway. If they do, a soil test will indicate so, and it may be applied. As for nitrogen, that is also bad for the Bay, but lawns DO need it, so we need to be very careful how much we apply.)

The amount you apply does not need to be exact (your lawn measurements are not exact anyway.) Try to find a fertilizer that is close. The numbers on a fertilizer ratio are percentages of that element (nitrogen or potassium) in the bag.

Please read our website's publication, "How to Fertilize Your Lawn Responsibly" http://mda.maryland.gov/Documents/HowToFertilizeYourLawn.pdf
It has a good chart for how to apply fertilizer annually for good lawn maintenance.

You may want to call us when you've located a fertilizer you want to use or with any other questions. It may be easier to discuss over the phone.