Garden over Septic Drainfield

I would like to replace my lawn with garden (over our septic drainfield). Would it be safe to do so? I plan on killing the grass with cardboard and adding compost to the soil.

Benton County Oregon

It is not recommended that a garden of any kind be planted on a septic drain field in Benton County, Oregon. There are many reasons for this county policy. If you plant a vegetable garden the chance of waste products being taken in by the plants is high. Ornamental plants and vegetable plants root system can block or destroy the drain lines in the drainage field. The plants can interfere with the functioning of the field. Working in a garden with shovels, tilling, driving posts into the ground, and a myriad of other normal garden work will damage the field and any associated valves or controls (if present).
The entity in Benton County Oregon where additional information on this topic can be obtained is Benton County Environmental Health, Septic System Information, at (541) 766-6841.