Hi - We've been finding what looks like fruit on the driveway below our red...

Hi - We've been finding what looks like fruit on the driveway below our red oak tree. We know that oaks have acorns and are puzzled as to what this is. It is about 5/8" in diameter and is soft. I am attaching a picture of it cut in half so you can see the inside as well as the outside. If it didn't come from the oak, we have no idea where it would have come from. Thanks for your help.

Anoka County Minnesota trees and shrubs oaks acorns

Well, it's a little hard to tell from the photo but it looks like an acorn. Often times the seed detaches easily from its cap, and of course squirrels have no use for the cap and get rid of it as they transport the acorns around the neighborhood. Take a look at some of the acorns that are still on the tree. You will see that the red oak has a rather smallish cap that isn't hairy or deeply grooved like some other oak seeds do.

Thanks for contacting AaE. Please do so again if you have further questions.

Thanks for your response. However, any acorns I've ever seen, touched, smashed, etc., are hard. This is soft and juice comes out when it's squeezed or cut in half. I know this picture isn't the greatest, but I had cut the fruit in half so you could see the inside (juicy) side and the exterior. There is nothing hard about any part of this, and as I said, there are lots of them in the driveway. Any other ideas?

Another Master Gardener has suggested that it could be an oak apple gall. Take a look at this website and see if it looks familiar:
http://somethingscrawlinginmyhair.com/2010/12/11/oak-apple-gall/