Restoring an overgrazed pasture

Hello, We just purchased some acreage that at one point in time had been used to graze sheep. The pasture appears to have been overgrazed and now is almost completely weeds. What is the appropriate procedure to restore the pasture? It's approximately 3 acres, and we plan to graze two horses on it seasonally. When is the best time to spray? Mow? Reseed? What types of seed would work best in my area? Is there anything else I should know?

Union County Oregon

Thanks for your question, one that is multifaceted and carries a complex indepth answer. I work for OSU Extension service and live in Bake City. Is there anyway I could come to your place for a ranch visit and consultation? This is at no expense to you, it would simply give me more opportunity to gather needed information and give us all more time to talk details etc...

I can be reached at either cory.parsons@oregonstate.edu or 541-523-6418 at the Baker County Extension office. I look forward to hearing back from you.