Mortgage: what can I do to keep my home?

We are struggling to meet our mortgage payments, and we owe more than the property is worth. Also, to make bad even worse, my husband lost his job and now he has moved out. What can I do to keep this roof over our heads for myself and our 3 children?

Osceola County Florida personal finance financial crisis mortgage payments upside down mortgage mortgage

There are several national resources that might be able to assist you with managing your finances during times of financial distress. The HOPE NOW Alliance includes a number of credit counseling organizations that provide credit counseling, debt management, and foreclosure prevention counseling services. To find a HOPE NOW credit counselor in your area, see www.hopenow.com. Another national resource with local connections is 211. Either call this number or go to www.211.org. Individuals calling 211 are able to speak to a trained information and referral specialist to find out about specific community resources in their area. Another source of information about community services and public benefits is your local Family Services (also called Social Services) office.