I reside in the Sykesville/Woodbine area of Carroll. I need to revitalize my...

I reside in the Sykesville/Woodbine area of Carroll. I need to revitalize my lawn. I need to weed, feed, then seed. I am seeking suggestions. There are a variety of weeds in my lawn. There are areas that are laced with rocks - a sort of shale. If possible, I would like to start this process ASAP. Is it advisable to begin weeding now, 8/17/13? When may I begin feeding then seeding? Thank you very much. John

Carroll County Maryland

This is a tricky question because some of the effective weeding agents may require a few weeks waiting period before you can reseed.
See this fact sheet on weed control for broadleaf weeds:
http://www.mdturfcouncil.org/admin/uploadfiles/tt-49-broadleaf-weed-control.pdf
Pay special attention to times of the year you can apply herbicides and please read and follow all directions on the label of the herbicide.

From the picture it appears that most of the area is covered in a clover like weed. You may also want to consider complete renovation if the lawn if you have less than 50%

desirable turf. See : hgic.umd.edu/_media/documents/LawnRenovationHG37pfv.pdf

Lastly, I am giving a turf presentations at the following:

What: Year-end Lawn Care: Helping your Lawn Battle Back
When: 7 p.m. Aug. 26, Aug. 29 and Sept. 3
Where:
Eldersburg library, Aug. 26, 6400 W Hemlock Dr., Sykesville;
University of Maryland Extension, Carroll County Office,

Aug. 29, Carroll County Agriculture Center, off Gist Road, Westminster;

North Carroll library, Sept. 3, 2255 Hanover Pike, Greenmount

For more info: Call 410-386-2760