I have a peony that is 4 years old and has never bloomed. Every year it grows...

I have a peony that is 4 years old and has never bloomed. Every year it grows and has flower buds but they never open. I had previously had a peony in this site that bloomed every year. After one bad winter it died so I replaced it with a new one thinking it would grow. The soil tends to be very sandy but I have brought in black dirt and organic mulch but still no blooms. Do you think it might be the flower or what else could I do to the soil to make it better. I have a lily next to it that blooms all the time Thanks Peggy

Dakota County Minnesota

Peonies are very picky about planting depth. Many sources will devote multiple pages to proper planting techniques. The most common problem is planting too deep.
Of course, this year everything has been less than normal. I would wait and see what happens next year. If no blooms, lift and replant at the recommended depth. Do this is September. I have attached a link to the university article on planting peonies.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/00067.html