Are Iris' poisonous

Asked August 14, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT

I am trying to find out if any part of the Iris plant is poisonous to children or pets.
Thank you

Jefferson County Colorado poisonous plants

1 Response

All species of iris contain an irritating resinous compound especially in the root.
The green leaves and seed pods are also toxic. Generally little is eaten because of the unpleasant taste.

If a dog or child were to chew and swallow the iris parts the irritating resin can cause excessive salivation, vomiting and bloody diarrhea depending on how much is eaten. Most of the time signs are mild and consist of salivation and dogs usually vomit the plant parts resulting in uneventful recovery.
If severe vomiting and diarrhea develop you should contact your veterinarian or physician if a child is affected.