Small area, full shade and privacy please

I have a spot in my yard that has stumped my for years. The spot is located on the north side of my house and is FULL shade. The spot is located between a 6ft fence(north) and my patio(which has a lattice barrier and is to the south). The area is basically a 4ft x 11ft rectangle with no room to go but up. My goal for this area is to find something that will add additional privacy to our patio...whether it be a vine, shrub or trees. Our neighbors house is very close to ours and we both use our patios a lot. So it would have to be something that is tall, narrow and easily maintained because the spot would be hard to access one it fill in...HELP!

Arapahoe County Colorado sustainable gardening and landscaping

I have a couple of suggestions for trees: Red Cedar, some are tall and narrow, the arborvitae, and the Honey Locus. You can refer to the CSU Extension office and run off the information sheets for Front Range tree recommendation list and or Suggested Plant list for Douglas County. I hope this is helpful for you.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think the arborvitae would work best judging by its shape. Is there a particular variety you would recommend for full shade? There are several listed for part-sun/part-shade but this area is full shade and I am wondering what variety specifically would tolerate this.

Hi,
Since your space is so narrow, I'm going to stick my 2 cents in and suggest silver Lace Vine. it grows very fast and is pretty. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1727.html You will be able to walk by it whereas the arborvitae will get so wide you won't be able to get past it.
Debi
@ Douglas County Master Gardeners