I am having a moth problem in my cattle barn, mainly in the hay mall. The...

I am having a moth problem in my cattle barn, mainly in the hay mall. The moths seem to be the indianmeal moth from the osu fact sheet. Except for the size of the moth, mine are smaller. They make sticky webs,like a spider web, on the ceiling and walls. They are in my hay, our hay was made right, no mold- cured out before putting in the mall. I touch a bale of hay these moths fly out by the hundreds. I have been removing the webs,with a broom, they fly out, they are light beige in color, w/ darker color on tips of wings. My barn is very clean, Except for these moths. Hope you can identify them, and there is away to get rid of them.

Preble County Ohio hay moths insect identification pest identification

If you can a good picture of the moth, email it to me directly at meyer.213@osu.edu . If it is Indian meal moth, then we probably need to look at grain in your barn as the primary infestation spot. We have to find the primary source of the infestation which probably didn't start with the hay. The picture may help to determine if it is something different. Email me and we will try to figure it out.

Greg Meyer