Killer bees

Our 1 year old yellow lab died this morning after being attacked by bees last evening. I found her, covered in bees and listless. Should I report this to someone and is there any interest in looking into the type of bee it was that attacked? If this is not the correct organization to direct this question to, please assist me in finding the correct place.

Warren County Iowa

Hello:

Thank you for your message and for contacting Iowa State University Extension & Outreach. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

We are at the time of the year when several stinging insects become more noticeable. Several other phone calls and messages this week have concerned the variety of stinging insects found in Iowa. It would be helpful if you could identify the insects. What size and what color were they? When we have a clearer picture of the pest, we might be able to better determine what to do next.

Please reply directly to me at drlewis@iastate.edu

In the meantime, all wasp and bee pests are controlled the same way - apply insecticide to the nest area at night. There is no efficient control for wasps and bees when the nest location is unknown (which is frequently the case). For nests in the ground a dry, insecticide dust is recommended. Aerial nests can be sprayed with a wasp and hornet aerosol spray.

Thanks.

Donald Lewis