Two-year-old frustrated

I have a two-year-old who gets frustrated easily and throws fits, banging his head on furniture and the floor. What do I do?

Livingston County Illinois

It is not uncommon for two-year-olds to get easily frustrated and have fits and tantrums. But I can see how you would be concerned about him banging his head on things. Kids at that age are not fully able to manage strong emotions, and they are still not good at communicating what they need or how they are feeling.

If you are concerned about the child's safety during these "fits," you might try holding the child, distracting the child, or taking the child to a safer location (for example, a room with a carpeted floor). But there are other things that you can do to prevent some meltdowns and to respond in ways that will help the child begin to develop the skills he needs to communicate and eventually manage those strong feelings. See the links below.

You did not mention whether the child had any delays or difficulties with communicating that would not be typical of other two-year-olds; sometimes there may be other issues that could be related to banging their heads. Children are pretty resilient, but if you are concerned, I would recommend that you see your pediatrician to discuss this.

Similar Questions Asked of Our Experts:

Other Resources:
Please feel free to write back.