I am starting to get little white flowers on my basil. Do I pinch them off to...

I am starting to get little white flowers on my basil. Do I pinch them off to get the basil to continue to grow and flourish? If not, what should I do with them and how do you recommend getting it to continue to grow?

Baltimore County Maryland herbs basil

Prune off the flowers as they emerge. If allowed to flower and set seed the plant becomes woody, yields are less, and quality may be affected with bitter flavors.

It is important to prune the plant periodically through the growing season to maintain succulent and productive growth. Begin harvesting at any time by snipping the fresh young leaves as they are needed. If whole stems are harvested, cut just above a pair of leaves. New growth will be encouraged at the cut point and should be seen within several weeks time.