Pasture renovation

I want to seed my pasture soon and it is very weedy with Canada thistle,pigweed morningglory,etc. Would you recommend spraying with roundup to kill everything or abroadleaf herbicide. My pasture mix has red and white clover so I don't want to spray to control weeds after seeding

Sioux County Iowa weed issues horticulture

Thank you for the question! I think I would use Round-up to kill everything, and then seed it after letting the herbicide work for at least a week. Mid-August to mid-September is the right time to seed. I hope you get good moisture of can water to get it all started!

I would use the Round-up choice to kill everything - even the grasses if there are any. Also, there is no potential residual herbicide injury that can occur later, but some broadleaf herbicides do have some soil activity that could cause germnation problems with your seeding mix. I like seeding into a clean seedbed with no competition.

I hope that helps. If not, contact me at the Plymouth County Extension office in Le Mars, 712-546-7835.

Thaks for asking!

Joel DeJong
ISU Extension Field Agronomist