I have a wasp nest inside wall of garage. I am fairly certain they are yellow...

I have a wasp nest inside wall of garage. I am fairly certain they are yellow jackets. The wasps enter in a small crack between the trim and brick. I have tried using aerosol foam sprays at night to kill nest, but they are still there. I am not sure how far into the wall they are going, I had a spray nozzle on the tube and it foamed up and came back out the hole. Thank you.

Licking County Ohio yellow jackets horticulture

When wasps decide to take up residence inside of a wall, it can result in one of the most difficult types of nests to remove because it can be difficult to reach. You are on the right track, but need several applications. The colony is at its largest in late summer.

You’ve pinpointed the location of the wasp nest and determined where the insects are getting into the nest from the outside. Also, observe their flight patterns and pay attention to where they disappear into the wall in case there are more entry area.

Seal off any entrances or exits into the area of the wall where the wasp nest is located. Use caulk or a similar sealant. This will not only prevent wasps from escaping a pesticide application only to return later, but it will also keep the wasps from exiting the nest by another hole to attack or to flee into other parts of the garage or home while the treatment is being applied.

Hang a lure trap near the area where the wasp nest is located. This will begin to attract wasps from the colony, and the fewer wasps that are present when the pesticide is applied, the better.

The entry hole should be big enough to fit the applicator end of the pesticide powder, but no bigger.

Insert the applicator end of the pesticide into the hole. Most powder pesticides such as insecticidal dusts will have an applicator for inserting into a small area, and will release a puff of dust when squeezed.

Repeat as needed. This may take several applications before all wasps are destroyed.
Afterwards, work to prevent another wasp colony from building a nest inside the wall. Seal any openings. Also, be sure any sweet, sugary foods -- especially those consumed outdoors -- are not left in a place where they are easily accessible to pests.

Please let me know if you would like additional information.

Mary C.