I planted my vegetable garden in May. Not all t he same time, but by the end...

I planted my vegetable garden in May. Not all t he same time, but by the end of May everything was planted. My beef steak tomatoes planted in a container have yielded approx. 6 tomatoes and the are not really anything coming out of the blossoms on the plant. What is going on? Someone suggested that the lack of bees this year in our area might be the reason. Is that possible? Please help.

Baltimore Maryland vegetables

You are in good company. The unusual weather pattern we have experienced has had a dramatic impact on many homeowner's gardens this year. Tomato plants are not producing flowers or fruit, squash plants are not producing flowers or fruit and in some cases it may be lack of pollination, but it may very well be the fluctuations of weather that has stressed the plants, causing them to delay flower and fruit production. Whatever the primary cause, it is a widespread phenomenon. Some kitchen gardens are doing well, so it may be that micro-climates are to blame. Adequate sunlight, good soil drainage, appropriate nutrients, etc., are essential elements of successful vegetable production.
LS