roses

I have a rose that belonged to my mother. It died,last year and I was going to pull up the dead root. I forget about it because of the drought. This year it came back and is about a foot high. But, it did not bloom. Will it ever bloom again?

Linn County Iowa

Most modern roses, such hybrid teas, grandifloras, and floribundas, are propagated by budding. A single bud is removed from the desired variety and inserted onto a hardy rootstock. The bud union (the knob-like swelling at the base of the canes) is sensitive to extreme cold. If little or no winter protection is provided, the canes may die back to the bud union. New growth originating from below the bud union is from the rootstock portion of the plant. Growth from the rootstock is extremely vigorous, but often doesn’t bloom. Non-blooming plants should be dug up and discarded.